Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Wonky Quilt Top

So for the past few weeks I have been working on wonky log cabin blocks with the Old Red Barn quilt along quilt flickr group. About 3 weeks ago I got a flu bug which wasn't too bad as far as flu's go but for a couple of nights I had trouble sleeping and lay awake thinking about my wonky log cabin quilt. I had been inspired by this quilt like a few others had and got it in my head to add some wonky house and tree blocks to my wonky log cabins. They are quite addictive to make and I ended up making 16, 4 trees and 12 houses. If anyone wants to make some there is a great tutorial here or here.



I then made 32 smaller (six inches) quarter log cabins for the border around the larger blocks



Then yesterday I managed to find time to put all the blocks together. I wasn't quite sure how the wonky houses and trees would look with the other blocks but I'm now really pleased with this quilt and in a way pleased I got the flu and had the wonky house idea. I really like the white with these blocks. It gives the whole quilt a crisp clean look.


I was going to use up all the leftover strips and sew another border around the white but I think it looks just fine as it is. I will probably make a pieced backing using up those strips. NOW how am I going to quilt it? Dilemma! Your suggestions are most welcome!



4 comments:

HMaas said...

It is really cute - those houses are just charming and really add to the quilt! I haven't even started my wonky log cabins yet - too busy with Halloween costumes.

ChickieChirps said...

I love those little houses and trees! They really make the quilt look quite different. I have also been inspired by Ingrid's quilt and have stored the ideas away in my brain to work on some time in the future.
As for quilting... Ingrid's quilt has little houses quilted around it which are really cute... maybe just in the white section of yours? Or little trees would be good.

Arabella

Rafael's Mum said...

I think a very small strippey border would look good. not sideways like piano keys but lengthways as it would set off the white border.

Quilt wise I would do something fancy like chickie suggested on the white, possibly with some variegated thread that is standing out (but not too much) and stipple the rest.

How about that?

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Oh, I love it just the way it is! The houses and trees make the wonky log cabins sing; very cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...