Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Love a good page turner....and a classic


Thanks to my bookworm nearly 14 year old daughter I have found another great book that I am enjoying so much that it is way too hard to put it down especially when I should really be doing other things. We saw the film last year  and loved it although it is very sad and I thought Cameron Diaz was wrongly cast as the Mother. I think the  film was well done and portrayed the story well but as is always the case the book has a lot more in it. So Amelia got it out from the library for herself along with "The Clan of the Cave Bear" and I got out.......

......this book because I love the author's more well known series "The No.1 detective agency" and I thought maybe his other series would be worth a go. Unfortunately I got rather bored reading this and gave up which I hate to do but I have better things to do than read a book that I am not enjoying. So now that I'm 2/3 of the way through "My Sister's Keeper" I am interested in trying out her other books and hoping some of you will be able to recommend some of her other titles???

Since it is school holidays here Caitlin and I are reading this book together. This is a classic children's series that I absolutely adored  as a child so much so that I wanted to be Heidi or at the very least have her pretty little Swiss dresses, but to my disappoint I have never been able to get Amelia to read them, although she's probably a little old for them now. Maybe its because the writing is a little too old fashioned I'm not sure but Caitlin seems to be really enjoying having it read to her and I am definitely enjoying reading it all over again. Plus its nice to spend a little quality one on one time with Caitlin.
So what children's classics can you remember as a child that you loved and read over and over, please do share with me. As you can tell we love to read in our house where you will find books on every floor :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on The Sunday Philosophy Club - I love the No. 1 Ladies... but didn't enjoy SPC at all.

Heidi was one of my favourite childhood books too, along with Black Beauty, What Katy Did and Little Women. They were part of a collection of hardbacks, Longman Classics, which I was recently reunited with (from my Dad's attic). I also loved Anne of Green Gables and Ballet Shoes, Enid Blyton (Mallory Towers/St. Clares/Famous Five/Secret Seven) and the Chalet School books :)

Wendy said...

I'm not usually into chic lit, but I do like Jodi Piccoult. The first one I read was Nineteen Minutes, brilliant! I also love Plain Truth and My Sister's Keeper, and I just finished The Tenth Circle.

I'd also recommend The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff, fabulous.

Karen said...

I like the No 1 Dectective Agency too but couldn't get through 1 book of the Sunday Pilosophy Club. The books I remember from my childhood were the Nancy Drew series. I was seriously hooked.

quiltmom anna said...

I have read a couple of Jodi Picoult's books- 19 Minutes is brilliant. I have just taken out the 10th Circle and have read House Rules by her, which was quite interesting too. She is an excellent writer but her stories are sometimes challenging emotionally. I found 19 minutes particularly powerful.

As for Childhood favorites- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, the Anne of Green Gables Series, the Chronicles of Narnia, Charlotte's Web and the Nancy Drew books are good start. Happy Reading...

Happy Reading,
Regards,
Anna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...