Thursday, June 2, 2011

Another quilt top finish!


I have been sewing virtually at every waking hour these last 3 days to get this quilt top finished. It's my entry for a jellyroll quilt competition which Lara told me about way back in January but it seems I need eminent deadlines to get some things completed. I put my entry in last night NZ time with just hours to spare. 
This quilt was made using a jellyroll I won last year on Marguerite's blog so I feel like it's been put to good use to make this quilt. It's "Shangri-la" by 3 Sisters for Moda. I added the creamy white fabrics from my stash for the border. I had wanted to use a solid colour for the border but just didn't have time to get to a quilt shop  but I think the almost lacy look of these white fabrics goes with the muted vintagey colours of this fabric line.

I used the diagonal stripes for the first border which nicely frames the inner blocks.

I wish I could say that it went together very smoothly but it didn't and I think it was mainly because I was in a rush to get it finished. I had to re-cut  and re-sew "3"  of the blocks because I had cut the diagonals in the wrong direction. And then yesterday I was doing silly things like not making sure the right sides were facing when sewing on the white borders...yes there was a little silent cursing going on but I got their with just 1/2 an hours daylight left to get some photos taken...Phew!
So what do you think?? I hope its a winner but if its not I know I've given it my best shot. The prize of a new sewing machine sure would come in handy though!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I sure hope you win! But if not you still have a gorgeous quilt top;o)

Lara said...

It looks awesome Catherine. Well done! The knitting rolls arrived safe n sound! Thank you!

Unknown said...

I think it looks fantabulous Catherine. You may just win this thing!!! That would be so amazing wouldn't it?

A Time for Stitching said...

It's gorgeous - I hope you win. I love that design! I can see so many possible variation and the more I look the more shapes I see.
Teresa x

Needled Mom said...

Very nice....I love the striped border.

Karen said...

You did a fantastic job to get the top done in time. It looks like a winner to me. Good luck. I hope you win the sewing machine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...