Saturday, July 23, 2011

My new toy!

If you've been reading my blog for a while now you may remember that back in December /January my sewing machine that I've had for 20 years (yes that makes me feel old!) broke down. I was devastated and lost without my trusty sewing machine but thankfully my repair man came through and managed to fix it with glue and screws. Ever since I have worried about what I would do if  it couldn't have been fixed as there is no way I could afford to replace it with a similar machine. 
A few weeks ago I was in the local sewing shop in Thames waiting to be served and I spotted the above machine with a sign on it saying "Second hand, just been serviced, $350".  It is a  Janome 'Quilters Campanion' 6260, looks brand new and was too good a bargain to be left behind!  It has 60 built in decorative stitches and comes with a perspex extension table. While it isn't my dream sewing machine it is going to make the perfect back-up machine if my trusty Elna is ever non-repairable. My Elna was a top of the line model back when I purchased it with 155 built in stitches plus 4 cassettes each holding a further 48 stitches but the Janome has some lovely modern features that I love plus I can do free motion quilting on the Janome which my Elna can no longer do in its delicate state. 

I love the built-in storage on the top and the handy stitch guide!

I picked it up this last Monday after the store owner gave me a wee demo on all its cool features like the needle threader, the slide control for sewing speed (great for beginner sewers like my girls), the straight stitch that automatically reverses at each end, to name a few. It also comes with a walking foot for quilting and a handy 1/4 inch foot for patchwork seams. 

I have yet to have a play on it yet as its school holidays here and we have been keeping busy with:
  • sleepovers
  • playing on our new Wii
  • using up our free passes to Rainbows End
  • shopping for shoes, clothes and books
  • reading new books
  • visiting Grandparents
  • cooking, baking and eating
In between I have finished my crochet squares and are now just fixing up the squares I did at the beginning when I had no clue as to how to crochet :). Hopefully today I will find the time to have a little play with my new toy!


9 comments:

Deb said...

Catherine, how exciting. I bet you are dying to sit down and "fiddle"

Diane said...

How exciting! Congrats on the new toy!

Renee said...

It's beautiful!!!! I'm so jealous :D You're going to have so much fun with that, can't wait to see some of your creations. Enjoy :)

Michelle said...

Looks like you scored yourself a great buy, I'm sure you're going to have lots of fun with it! Enjoy the rest of the holidays...

Lis Harwood said...

Snap, I recently picked up a second hand, serviced Janome, not quite as high up the electronic whizz scale as yours but I'm delighted with it, love Janome. Enjoy.

Lara said...

She's a beauty Catherine! What a bargain too!

Karen said...

Congratulations!!!! It is a more recent version of my machine. I have one top tip for you. I was having heaps of problems with skipped stitches. Turns out it works best with good machine needles like Janome or Schmetz. Mine machine does not work well with Klasse needles. Mine is a workhorse so I have no doubt you have got a 'good un'.Have fun and play (when you can).

Pomona said...

Isn't it fun having a new toy? And what a bargain - a really great find!

Pomona x

HappySquirrel said...

Oh! That is so exciting! Happy sewing! and thanks for your comment on my post in happysquirrel. The photogrpah was taken in Mallorca, Spain. : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...