Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Sewing Attic - a little tour...

 I've just had a bit of a tidy up and re-arrange in my 'sewing attic' mainly due to finally putting my old sewing machine into semi-retirement and replacing it with my new to me Janome. I had come home early from a school Cross country trip with Caitlin and had an hour or so to spare and thought I would spend it wisely swapping my machines around but ending up having quite a tidy/clean-up. You know how once you get started tidying up one area it sort of leads on to another area and before you know it 2 hours has gone by. Anyway it also occurred to methat this would be a good time to take photo's to share on my blog. I always find it fascinating having a peek into the studios/creative spaces/sewing rooms of fellow crafters so I hope you enjoy this little tour!

Here is my new machine surrounded by my favourite things ie; favourite hand cream, pretty box of tissues (at the back), mini red drawers filled with machine needles etc.. Above and to the right-hand side is a wire recipe holder that my Grandmother made and which I now use for holding pattern instructions.
My sewing space is on the top floor of our home which is an 'A' frame house therefore making the top floor like an attic space with its sloping walls. The downside of it is that it is not as big as I would ultimately like and the lighting is not so great but I love having a space that's totally dedicated to what I love to do. Also when I'm sitting at my machine I can look over the railing and down into our lounge or out our big lounge windows. The view from these windows looks out over Whangamata and out to the ocean beyond plus I can be nosey and see who's driving up our street or my girls walking home from school. And because it's on the same floor as Caitlin's and what used to be Amelia's rooms I've never felt shut away from what the rest of the family is doing. I am also proud to say that my machine still sits on a sewing desk/table that I made years ago when I bought my first machine. It has 2 large cubby holes or shelves on each side that store books, magazines, scissors and all those things that need to be handy.
 Behind my sewing machine I have a set of wire shelves holding patterns and other various sewing/crafting needs. On an old trunk sits my wooden sewing box and a few baskets filled with my latest fabric purchases. Having some fabric especially newer fabric on display keeps me inspired :)
The bigger baskets hold larger pieces of different types of fabric and the red vintage vanity case has small scraps of girly fabrics that I can't quite throw away.
To the left of my sewing machine is a wooden box full spools of thread with an old fashioned styled lady pincushion sitting on top that my Mum made years ago. Under the cover is my Janome overlocker bought from my dressmaker neighbour. This part of my sewing table also serves as a small ironing/pressing space which is why I have an old towel on it.

 At the end of the sewing table is a collection of some of my quilts and items either finished and waiting for new owners or works in progress. At the moment that would be 3 quilt tops!
Underneath that happy pile of quilts and things is this lovely trunk that came (along with the other trunk in a previous photo) across from Ireland with my Great Grandparents. 
And ah yes this where I store the rest of my fabric stash. While it's not immediately accessible due to having to haul all those quilts and things off to get inside it, it is a nice safe way to store fabric.
And just around the corner on the other side of the trunk is this little display of cushions and Caitlin's Zig-zag quilt. And of course in that picnic basket is more fabric....my collection of Batik fabrics.
 So technically we are out of my sewing area now but I thought I'd share this photo of vintage suitcases. The bottom 2 were rescued from my parents garage and I can remember them being used on holidays when I was young along with that red vintage vanity case. The smaller blue one is an old school suitcase that I used at primary school and the top one was my kindergarten case which I think my brothers used before me.
This space is to the left of my sewing space and is a little mini library/reading area for the girls. It's a lovely place to sit and do some hand sewing or to just read of course because it gets the afternoon sun which is especially nice on a cool winters day. Out the window the view (beyond the neighbours house) looks towards the bush clad hills that surround our town. This space is also a favourite place for our feline friends to snooze in as well. The little red chairs used to be the girls when they were smaller but now make great cat beds. 

Congratulations if you made it to the end of this rather long post! 
I really hope you enjoyed seeing where I create! As I said at the beginning I love looking at other peoples creative spaces so if you would like to share your creative space on your blog let me know(in the comments) and perhaps I can compile a list here on my blog for us all to look at :)

Have a great weekend!!


13 comments:

Karen said...

What a great sewing area. Its so wonderful having all those special and meaningful things around us. I have my machine set up so I can look out a window. Its perfect being able to glance up and look out at whats going on (or not going on). Thanks for the tour.

Sue SA said...

I also love checking out other peoples sewing spaces, so thank you for sharing. I love your collection of vintage luggage. I had some and gave half away when we moved interstate, I am still kicking myself. DH regularly threatens to dispose of the half I did keep, so I dare not store my fabric in them! Happy quilting Sue SA.

Katy Cameron said...

Love your sewing space, and especially all your vintage suitcases and trunk. I want to come and play in your fabric stash now though lol

Ganz und Garn said...

Great sewing attic with lots of wonderful fabrics :) Especially love the old suitcase pile.
Martina

Molly said...

Getting a peek into someone's creative space seems so personal and intimate. I just love your cozy area and now I see how you can create such beautiful things ... you have a beautiful attic!

Unknown said...

What a great tour Catherine! Your space is so lovely and warm. The collection of baskets for fabric, the trunk and the suitcases really bring a coziness to the space. And that little cozy area? I love it. Great post, and thanks so much for inviting us into your little happy place. :)

My space is in the basement and I'm still getting used it being dark down there. But slowly I'm learning to live with it and make it cozy as well. We work with what we've got eh? I'll probably be doing a post about it in October since I've never really let anyone in before to any real degree.

Nic said...

Wow! I'm in awe of your fabric stash. Great sewing area too. I'd share mine, but I don't have one. Then again, living on my own I can sew wherever I want. Well, the kitchen and bathroom would be a tad tricky, not to mention uncomfortable ;)

Lara said...

What a lovely space to create! And I love that library nook!!

Kathy said...

I love that your sewing area has a little sunny corner with a comfy chair :) A great pace to sit and stitch, think and dream, for children to play and be part of the creative process and for visitors to sit and chat!

Anonymous said...

I love seeing where people sew and I love how your store your fabric in such a pretty and inspiring way.

Catherine said...

Thanks Miriam! Glad you enjoyed looking around my creative little space!

XUE said...

Your sewing attic is exactly what I imagined it would be - cosy, pretty & in fact, like a little fabric shop!!! Not so little actually as it seems quite spacious to me & that cuddle-up area - wow! More pics please !
Happy Mooncake/Lantern Festival !
Happy Mid-Autumn too!

Little Blue Mouse said...

Thanks for the tour of your sewing area. It looks very bright for an attic, with the window at the end and the open stairs down to the lounge. A very nice place to sew, and a great fabric stash!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...