Monday, September 3, 2012

Dining table reveal....

 I have spent a good part of the last couple of months sanding back my dining table ready for a fresh, new, slightly more modern look. I nearly forgot to take a before photo, but remembered part way through the sanding process. The main reason it took so long was the weather, which has been just a tad wet here lately. As I didn't want to sand inside I had to wait for fine days to drag it outside onto our deck to work on it plus it is too heavy to lift on my own so I had to have someone around to help out. It's a very heavy solid table!! I have had this table for over 20 years as it was purchased with our first home and the elderly owner was getting rid of everything and at that stage we had nothing.
 
 So here it is with a fresh coat of paint and clear polyurethane, looking much more fresh and modern don't you think :-) I know my parents will not like the pedestal painted white but I really love this look and had found inspiration for this look on Pinterest here and here. I like this look too but wasn't quite brave enough to do it :-)
I was originally going to go for a 'white wash' look but it just wasn't looking right with the dark mahogany wood underneath so I ended up with this solid white with a couple of coats of clear polyurethane to give it some sheen. I think painting it white has made it's lovely decorative features stand out.

 I had also thought about painting the whole thing white but once I sanded it back to reveal it's beautiful wood grain I just could not cover it up and decided to simply give it a coat or 3 of clear polyurethane.
I am now waiting for the rain to stop long enough to go outside to pick some pretty spring flowers to fill this collection of vases I put on the table this morning. Think I might have to retreat to my sewing attic for some sewing in the meantime though, it's looking pretty wild outside at the moment.

7 comments:

XUE said...

That is a super brave project, with the white pedestal - don't know if I am that brave! Have a couple of things here too, that I am in process of doing & process of thinking of doing!

Katy Cameron said...

Whew, that's quite the project! I inherited an old monks' seat from my grandparents, and it could do with some TLC, but I think that can definitely wait til next summer!

Nic said...

Great work on the table.
Oh dear, having to retreat to your sewing attic. What a hardship :)

Unknown said...

I'm thinking of going in similar directions with an old side table piece in our tiny entrance. I think it would really brighten up that space.

That is an awesome table!

Sue said...

Great revamp Catherine, so good to give an old piece of furniture a new lease of life instead of just ditching it.

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a beautiful table!! I would never have thought of painting the base white but it does look really good and makes the features stand out. I hope the sun has come out for you, those vases will look lovely with spring flowers.

Ariane said...

You did a great job with it!! I love it!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...