Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Handmade with love.......

This was the scene in our house on Christmas morning, the girls beginning to open their presents from us before breakfast.....although I can't quite remember breakfast actually happening. I think the girls were too excited to be hungry and perhaps too busy eating chocolate. I know that makes us sound like bad parents but hey its only for one day of the year and that's part of Christmas to me, having treats at odd times of the day.
Now lets have a little handmade gift show'n'tell.....
I made this pen roll for Caitlin as she kept stealing her sisters one and she LOVES to draw.
All rolled up and ready to travel with her.
This little threesome of gifts was for my Mum. She came shopping with Amelia and I a couple of weeks before Christmas and I got her to pick out some fabrics but I didn't tell her what they were for. I made her a lavender filled teapot stand (lavender from her garden and pattern from the spring issue of Stitch) a pot holder ( tutorial here) and a folding market tote made from a Heather Bailey pattern.
Here's the reverse side of the potholder and teapot stand.
And here's the market tote all folded out. This pattern was very easy to follow like all Heather's patterns seem to be and I will be definitely making more of these.
And this is a very large memo board I made Amelia for her new room that I'm currently redecorating for her. I manged to get Amelia to pick out some favourite fabrics without her knowing what they were for. I must say she has great taste as they were all Heather Bailey's. The print I ended up using is from her pop garden range and I think this project makes the most of this large scale print. The base is a large artists canvas (thanks for the tip Lara!) to which I added some cork board so things can be pinned onto it as well as tucked behind the ribbon. The board is 24" x 36", took about 4 metres of ribbon, 28 buttons and just a few hours to put together. I am so impressed with how well this turned out. I think I need one for my sewing attic! Oh and on a sad note my machine is broken as in "not repairable" broken!!! Luckily I had  finished my Christmas sewing when it happened, just, and my Mother has lent me hers in the meantime. It would be a great excuse to buy a new one with all the bells and whistles if only I could afford it but unfortunately it couldn't have happened at  a worse time for us.
 The girls and I have had a lot of fun playing this game too lately. I had always wanted it as a kid so I'm making up for lost time now. I think the girls played about 5 games in one day on Monday.
Do you have a favourite family board game??


11 comments:

Rafael's Mum said...

You made such beautiful gifts Catherine! I bet the girls and your mum were delighted! What a lovely lounge you have too with that amazing window. Beautiful!

Our favourite holiday game is called Cranium. It's a board game where you advance little wedges towards the middle. Depending on where you land after the roll of the dice, you get a category and have to answer a question for that category right. The questions are hilarious! They are either general knowledge or you have to sculpt something out of play doh, mime a famous person, or let the others guess who you are talking about without mentioning the persons name. You might draw the 'hum a tune' and a lot of other antics. It's just SO funny, you've got to try it one day!

Molly said...

What beautiful presents for your girls! I'm sure they will treasure them and realize how much love went into them. I have three boys and our favorite board game is Risk ... the war game of strategy. Believe me, I grew up with four sister and we never played that game! We don't play much anymore but we still reminisce over some of the more memorable battles.

Ariane said...

The gifts you made are gorgeous!! I really love that memo board. I need to make a few of these. They are really handy and decorative too. Sorry to hear your sewing machine is broke. Hopefully you can find a nice replacement. Even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. Wishing you a Happy New Year. Hugs Ariane

MEG BAIER said...

hi catherine,
beautiful and meaningful presents!!well done!i bet they're thrilled with them!!
i also made most of the christmas present i gave my family and friends.i think it has another vibration, by the time you choose what you're going to make, you're already "in conection" with the person.
i wish you and your family, a wonderful new year!
love
meg

Needled Mom said...

Your handmade gifts are just gorgeous!! I am sure they were all loved and appreciated.

Sorry about your sewing machine. I'm glad that your mom had one for you to use.

Clue was always our favorite board game when the kids were growing up. Now it is Scrabble.

Lara said...

The memo board is amazing! Love the fabric is just gorgeous. I love all your handmade gifts.So sorry that your machine is not able to be repaired. What's it been doing?

Diane said...

Wow, you were busy! That is quite a collection of wonderful gifts you made!

Lis Harwood said...

I have really enjoyed sharing so many Christmases via blogs, thank you for letting me share yours. The handmade goodies are wonderful. I'm going to make a pen holder for make-up brushes and I really want to make some potholders. I had a look at the tutorial and it's interesting to read about using various layers of wadding and fabric rather than the insulated stuff (that was putting me off making oven gloves for a friend, too stiff). Happy New Year to you and yours, xxx

by Daisy said...

loved the presents you made! and you're so right: candy at odd times is nice, once in a while! as for board games, i really love them, all of them, but my husband doesn't so... :(

Karen said...

Great gift making! The memo board looks soo good. The fabric is gorgeous. Sorry to hear about your sewing machine. Been there and while mine was fixable (again) I have done my homework on what my next machine will be and have worked out a savings plan for myself.

helen said...

I admire the beneficial facts you offer in your articles . Thank you so much for sharing! I'm sharing this christmas lights that we have. This would surely be of great help to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...