Monday, December 13, 2010

Tis the season to decorate.........

Another weekend has flown by and I still have not made a start on my list of handmade presents. This weekend I was distracted by the beautiful hot weather we are still experiencing and spent quite a bit of time in my garden, spraying the lawn for unwanted weeds, trimming the rosemary bushes with the company of our 2 cats who must have been enjoying the scent of the rosemary leaves like I was. I have also finished preparing the walls in Amelia's soon to be new room ready for re-wallpapering and now need to sand back the window frames ready for a fresh coat of paint. Re-decorating a room is a fun project, it's just the preparation work that is a little tedious.

Caitlin and I had a fun day yesterday decorating the Christmas tree. Each year I buy a few new decorations and also like to make some handmade ones as well. Since it's been over a week since I last posted I thought I would make up for my absence here by posting each day over the next few days with a new handmade decoration to share with you all.

These paper globes may already be familiar to some of you as I have seen them on a few blogs myself lately. They look quite intricate and difficult to make but are really quite easy to do especially when you have a little helper like I did. I made mine from Christmas themed scrapbook paper but you could use any paper. There is a great tutorial here that I based mine on.

This one was made using double sided scrapbook paper.

I applied glitter to the edges for a little Christmas sparkle. If you want to do this attach the hanging thread first unless you want glitter all over your hands like I did.

Okay I'm off to cook a quick dinner before we head out to Caitlin's School for the break-up/prize giving night but I'll be back tomorrow with another easy handmade decoration to inspire you.

5 comments:

Karen said...

That looks a nifty project to do with your kids. I am happy to say I am all done but I had a deadline of this Thursday (celebrating with hubby's family) so that got me cracking on getting everything done.

Lis Harwood said...

Loving all the festiveness on blogs, your globe decorations are lovely.

Unknown said...

Love the globes! Those are right up my alley, Catherine!

Preparing for Christmas is alot of work! I have tons to do still and the day just keeps getting closer and closer... wish it wouldn't do that, dagnabbit!

A Time for Stitching said...

Lovely handmade bauble tutorial. Adding this to the ones I saw on Very Berry Handmade, I've got enough designs for a whole tree!
Teresa x

XUE said...

Fabulous paper globes! This year, sadly, is the first time we don't have a tree up. So I shall come back here often to look at yours.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...