Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Vintage floral boho bags

I've been meaning to do a post about 2 boho bags that I made back in January but kept forgetting to which may have been due to the nice weather we have been having which makes me just want to be outside. For the first time in 2 months it rained here for over 3 hours. It's been so long since we had rain that it seemed quite strange but I'm sure the farmers are pleased with any rain they get and for me it means not having to remember to water the veggie garden. Anyway back to the boho bags! The above one is all for me, that is just me and not for my daughter to "borrow" and not relinquish back :-)

One of my favourite colours is green so this bag goes with a lot of clothes. The main fabric is an old curtain remnant that my seamstress neighbour gave to me so it's the perfect weight for a bag but not too stiff for this type of bag. I used a print by Sandy Henderson for the button and pockets. 
Then for the inside I used a vintage print that I've had for ages (years!) that was passed onto me by an Auntie (another clever seamstress). This print is lovely and soft so perfect for a lining plus I love the contrast between the brown print and green prints. Yep this bag is being well used :-) 
This second bag was made for a friends sister as her birthday present. Once again I used an old curtain remnant from my neighbours stash and contrasted it with 2 different red and white polka dot prints from my stash.
I really like the slightly botanical look to the main fabric on this bag and I think the polka dot prints add a bit of a retro look to it.
The print inside has a slightly raised effect to the simple pattern on it and then the print in the pocket has a slightly botanical look too. Love how prints come together so nicely in a project like this cause sometimes it takes me ages to choose the 'right' combination of fabrics. Sometimes I just wish I was a little more decisive in making my fabric choices :-)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Very cool! They would be fabulous to take shopping!

Unknown said...

The green one (yours) is so lovely!

I know what you mean about being decisive. That's one of my major issues when it comes to making things. Ah well, I guess there will always be some effort involved, eh?

Needled Mom said...

Those are beautiful and I love the details.

Katy Cameron said...

Lovely bags :o)

Karen said...

They look like great bags - not too small and nice and robust/not too fragile (like some handbags). I tend to accumulate a lot more stuff than necessary sometimes. Your fabric choices are great. I really love the floral with the spots and green is one of my favourite colours. Sometimes I too seem to take forever to decide on a fabric. Sometimes its because it doesn't feel right but then sometimes I should just go for it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...