Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Prairie Point Tutorial

Okay here's my first tutorial. Hope it all makes sense.

Cutting:

For my prairie points on the zigzag quilt I just used the leftover 5" squares from making the 1/2 square triangles so they fitted around my quilt perfectly. If I had a quilt that measured say 48" x 60" I could either make 2", 3" or 6" squares depending on how big you want your prairie points. For 3" prairie points you would need to cut 72 squares or for 6" prairie points you would need to cut 36 squares.


Next fold each square in half to make a rectangle. Press fold. Then fold each corner from the folded side down to the centre to form a triangle as shown in above photo. Press again.

Your pressed triangle should look like this one (above).



Place triangles folded sides down on right side of quilt with raw edges even and points overlapping.



Sew in place making sure to keep the batting and backing clear of seam. I sewed this seam on the wrong side of the quilt top with the prairie points underneath to ensure the other layers were not in the way.



Next trim away the batting by approximately 1/4 to 1/2 " to reduce bulk for next step.



Fold backing seam allowance over and hand stitch in place. I like to use a ladder stitch
for this step.


Well I hope you can all understand these instructions! If you have any queries please feel free to email me and I will gladly try and help.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...