Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Working on the quilt backing....

Have finished my quilt as you go blocks and manged to get them all sewn together on Sunday. I knew I wouldn't have enough of one fabric or even two to make a quilt back so I chose about a dozen fabrics from my stash that all go together but I no longer like and needed to use them up. I was going to go for horizontal stripes but that was going to end up too 'random' looking ( to use my daughters current favourite phrase), so I cut up 14 1/2 " squares from the larger pieces to match up with the 14 1/2 " blocks on the quilt top. Then I cut smaller squares from the smaller fabric pieces that when pieced together 4x4 make up a 14 1/2 square as in the photo below. When I first cut these smaller squares I made a wee calculation error and made them too big which I guess is better than too small, so had to trim them all (128) to the correct size. I tried to get Amelia on to it yesterday but she found it all a little boring.
I know these fabrics aren't very inspiring but the colours go together nicely and it has made a nice dent in my fabric stash which I can now fill with prettier more modern looking fabrics.

4 comments:

Lara said...

Looking good Catherine! I think you've most definitely earned some new fabric :)

Rafael's Mum said...

Maybe individually these fabrics don't excite you too much but together they look fab! So... backing looks great, 'ugly' fabric got rid off AND new stash buys. Win,win,win situtation!

Michele said...

Oh, I do NOT like making calculation errors! Very frustrating. I do it all the time...But you worked through it. Way to persevere!

Joan said...

Looks good ! New fabirc sounds wonderful - and of course well earned.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...