Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A rainbow cake of sorts....

Ever since I saw this cake on pinterest I have wanted to make it and thought it would be the perfect birthday cake for Caitlin this year. Unfortunately on the morning of her birthday I was fast running out of time. Going to bed late the previous night didn't help as I slept in a little :) So inspired again by this cake I made a quicker version of a  rainbow cake. 
 We still had 6 different colours and yes six different bowls to wash. I used a Victorian Sponge recipe and just divided it into 6 to mix in the colours. The girls loved helping me out with this stage of making it and thought it looked a bit like the coloured playdough I used to make for them when they were younger. I was a little concerned the extra mixing would spoil the lightness of the cake but I'm pleaed to say it turned out beautifully.

As you can see it was so nice it was half gone on Sunday afternoon and it is now sadly all gone. The yummy butter icing also added to it's deliciousness! You can find more Rainbow cake inspiration here.


Amelia also helped out by making these yummy chocolate cupcakes with chocolate fudge frosting. She has made quite a few cupcakes recently but these have got to be her best yet. 



3 comments:

Kathy said...

I love it! Mind you, I wonder what the food allergists would say about the colouring.....? Who cares - what's a party without fun, fizz and fanfare!

Unknown said...

oh the rainbowy deliciousness... how did you get the colours to stay separate in there? you're just a whiz I guess...

Karen said...

Looks very yummy! It would be perfect with a cup of tea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...