Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Another something just for me...

Summer skirt
A quick and easy summer skirt made up in a "New York" themed print. I am not usually drawn to buying themed fabrics but this one seemed to stand out to me as one that would make a unique skirt. If it had a New Zealand theme or Kiwiana theme I would have steered well clear so if you're from the US I can understand if it's not your cup of tea.
Anyway I'm really pleased with how this skirt came out and how quickly it came together as it took only 2 - 3 hours to whip up. It is quite a flattering style that sits nicely on my hips and therefore not cutting into my waist. The only thing I changed is to make it a little shorter so it comes to my knees.

For a bit of added interest I added some mini blue ric-rac around the bottom edge of the top band and normal sized red ric-rac around the hemline. I used an invisible zipper on the side seam using this tutorial which shows just how easy these zippers are to install. The pattern is  "New Look" no.6595 if you're interested in making this skirt too. Now all I need is a couple of tops or three to go with it! 

5 comments:

Bec I am said...

Very nice, great fabric. Know what you mean about finding tops I have a couple of skirts in the making and feel the same . X

Katy Cameron said...

Cute, love the touches of ricrac

Ducks and Rabbits said...

It looks great! The ric rac is the perfect compliment.

Kathy said...

There should be more of it, I say! (making something for yourself, that is :) Great skirt. The pattern looks similar to one I just made for my teenage daughter - minus the ric rac, she'd have been horrified, lol!

Little Blue Mouse said...

Lovely skirt, especially with the ric rac.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...