Wednesday, November 28, 2012

For the love of books.......

It is no secret to those who know me and my girls, that we all love to read a lot and therefore we have quite a collection of books or a small library in the case of the girls :-) There is always a book or two laying around in various places and a whole stack next to my bed at the moment. Some time ago when I was re-arranging and re-decorating our entrance room on the ground level of our home I got rid of our damaged and ugly bookcase and put my books in storage until I found the perfect bookcase at the right price. I have yet to find that perfect bookcase but last week I replaced a bedside table with a more appropriate set of bedside drawers in Caitlin's room. Having to fit the original little table she had been using elsewhere in our home I came up with the idea of displaying some of the very old books I had been given from my parents. Inspiration came from here, here and here. Two or three of them are in slight dis-repair but I quite like that. A couple of them date back to the 1930's so I think they deserve to be on display at that age and not packed up in a box in a garage. 

So when I was rescuing those old books I also found my Bible that I had been given way back in the 70's and decided it needed a nice bookcover to protect it and also make it look pretty and more me :-)
I used my favourite blue, turquoise and purple batik fabrics and embellished it with some machine embroidery stitches. 
My very favourite turquoise batik for the spine....

...a label stitiched on the back so I would know which was the front and back :-) and a ribbon bookmark was added to the top of the spine in a perfect colour combo of grey and turquoise.


And on the front inside I added a bookmark keeper to hold the small collection of bookmarks that were still in it.

I made this cover in just a few hours on Saturday afternoon and really enjoyed making something just for "me" for a change plus the whole challenge of designing it from scratch. Now it looks all very much at home and pretty sitting on a shelf above my bed.

3 comments:

Julie said...

What a nice idea - you will have to give us a tutorial for the book cover.

Barbara said...

I love book covers. I still have one (velvet fabric) from my grandmother who used to cover all the books she had from the public library.
Your book cover is very nice with all the various fabrics and ornamental stitches. It makes the book even more precious...says Barbara who is hooked on books too!

Karen said...

Great idea putting the books on the table. They look great. I love that you also put the lovingly used ones on display too. My son has his own library too. Its great for their reading if there are books just waiting to be read.
I am so glad you had time to do something for you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...