Friday, November 9, 2012

The lost art of the hand written letter..........

Boho batik writing/journalling compendium No I'm not going to write a post on how we rarely hand write letters any more but it is something that we see less and less of which I think is a little sad since how special do we feel when we receive even just a handwritten note. Anyway with those thoughts in mind I designed this writing/journalling folder or "compendium" I think is the correct word for it. I used up some scraps of batiks leftover from the making of my 'Boho bag'. As you can see it has 2 pockets on the front for pens and closes with a fabric loop and handmade button (a miniature version of the button on the bag). Boho batik writing/journalling compendium Inside it has 4 large pockets for storing paper, journals and pens, 2 single pen pockets and 2 pockets for cards. Boho batik writing/journalling compendium Once again I used some African 'shwe shwe' fabrics for the inside. I really like the way these prints coordinate with the blue batiks plus the fact that they've been in my stash for a while now and it feels good to finally find the perfect items to use them in. Boho batik writing/journalling compendium
Just like the 'Boho bag' it is embellished on the outside with a variety of machine embroidery stitches....

Admittedly I don't write many letters myself but I do like to have paper handy when inspiration strikes and I also have recently started a journal for writing down inspirational quotes etc... so I think I need to make one of these compendiums for myself. This one is now for sale here in my Etsy shop and also here in my Felt shop.

8 comments:

Second Chance Tan said...

This is just lovely.... I love how you use the batiks and make such great combinations of fabrics. I hope your etsy shop is doing well - these would be ideal Christmas presents xxx

Unknown said...

Now that is a beautiful compendium! So useful even for those of us who rarely with letters.

Katy Cameron said...

Lovely idea! Alas most of my handwriting is on post-its notes and office note pads these days...

Julie said...

Another lovely creation - you really are getting your sewing "mojo" back.
There is a thrill in going to your letterbox and finding real mail there not just a bill or junk mail. Probably why my sister and I like doing swaps with each other. Have a great weekend.

Nic said...

It's beautiful. Love the colours and fabric designs used.

Wendy said...

oh how lovely, what a wonderful idea. I'm going to try to find the time to make myself something like this

Barbara said...

I still belong to the "old species" who like (and do!) to write hand written letters. And of course I love to receive them too! Your "compendium" looks great with all the various lovely blue fabrics. What kind of batting did you use in order to get a somehow stiff "envelope"?

Anonymous said...

I love that! I wish my budget was bigger, I'd get it in a heart beat. I like to doodle at meetings and that would keep me organized.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...