I made the most of the sunny almost summery weather we had a week or so ago during the last school holidays and hauled this very old bedroom chair out onto our deck to strip off the old fabric ready for its makeover.
This is my first re-upholstery project. I've had this chair for nearly 20 years as it was left behind in the first house we purchased. It's previous owner was an elderly lady who was moving to South Africa and I think was a bit overwhelmed with the big life changing move she was undertaking. Anyway she left us a lot of her junk that she didn't know what to do with. A lot of the stuff was definitely just 'junk' but there were some treasures amongst it and one of them was this chair. Even though it was covered in ugly stained fabric I could see it's potential then. I had originally intended to get it recovered professionally but could never afford it so I made a slip-cover out of white calico and trimmed it's skirt with a blue and white gingham ( oh so 90's!!)
Taking out all those tacks took so very very long but I got a bit of tan from the lovely warm sun and definitely an upper body workout too :-) plus as I removed the fabric I could see how it was put on in the first place. Now I just need to get some advice on how to add a new layer of foam rubber to the seat and back before I add some pretty fabrics to it.