Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Spring Flower Wreath...

Although it is definitely Autumn here this wreath reminds me of spring. I decided a couple of months ago to make Amelia a wreath to hang in her bedroom but had originally thought of just covering it with yoyo's which if I'd stuck to that idea it would have been finished a lot quicker. Somehow along the way I decided that fabric flowers would make a pretty feminine wreath and it evolved from there. 

I added a felt butterfly studded with pink beads.

I love using  buttons on small projects and have acquired quite a collection now. Before I throw out clothes I always take the buttons off to reuse and save those extra buttons you get with some clothes. 

These little butterfly buttons were bought on a whim a while back. I have jazzed them up by adding some beaded antennae.

The ladybugs are buttons that were originally on a jumper Amelia and then Caitlin had when they were babies.

I made this wreath using a plain cane wreath bought from Spotlight and covered it by wrapping around some leftover batting then some bias binding. This provides a bit of bulk and a nice soft base to sew embellishments onto.

I ended up making more flowers than I needed. I think I used about 25 small and large flowers. I have some other ideas for the flowers I have left which I will share with you soon so watch this space.
I'm adding this to Amylouwho's sew'n'tell this week so click on the button and check out all the other finishs for this week!

11 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Perfect for a girl's room too.

Unknown said...

That is so lovely, Catherine. I love all the flower and bug embellishments! No doubt, much work (and love) has gone into all the little aspects of the wreath! Very very pretty!

Karen said...

It is just so pretty Catherine. Love how you added some critters.

Carla said...

How lovely Catherine! This would be perfect for any time of the year.

Michelle said...

What a fun and original idea! It's beautiful! You don't happen to have a tutorial available do you?

Sarah Craig said...

That is seriously cute!! Love all your lovely flowers and embellishments!!

Dayna said...

This is so cute! I love all of the detail!

pinksuedeshoe said...

Oh wow that is so cute! Love the little beads on everything!

kristie said...

oh, that's so cute! the felt butterfly is adorable.

myBearpaw said...

This is so pretty! I love all the buttons and the embroidery. What a great idea!

Rene' said...

Catherine, this is really pretty! I love all the pinks and greens. Cute buttons and butterflies too. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...