Sunday, July 4, 2010

A "modern" Victorian sewing box.


I first made a Victorian sewing box a few years ago, before kids and when I was living in Auckland. My LQS was "Patchworks of Ponsonby" which is no longer there now, used to hold lots of various sewing classes and one I took was to make this box. You can see my orignal box here. I do remember it taking a while to finish but obviously my memory has faded because this time it took a couple of weeks. Even my husband commented on how long it was taking me! To be fair on myself, when I did it in the class we were given kits to work with so this time I had to start from scratch and make the kit myself, work out all the correct measurements and how it all went together. Now that it's all finished  I'm pretty happy with the result. I'm sure next time I make one it will be much quicker.


I used 3 different fabrics, the exterior fabric is an Anna Griffin fabric as is the paler green butterfly print used in the interior. I love the striped fabric (I like stripes in general actually!) which is one I bought in the States a couple of years ago and I'm not sure who makes it. The pockets and gussets are machine sewn but the rest is all sewn together by hand with quilting thread and a little glue to hold it in place while I sewed.


What's great about this box is that it opens right out so you can see and find everything inside. It has 3 pockets, and the other sides have extra padding for holding pins and one with some felt for holding needles.


One last photo to show you the beading detail I did on the lid.
I am going to be putting this in my etsy shop which will hopefully be up and running very soon. Just waiting on my way to busy husband to find some time to help me out a little :)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

These boxes are great I have made quite a few over the years. I love the colours you have chosen to use.

angelina said...

wow. i want to make one! what pattern did you follow/?

Rafael's Mum said...

It's lovely Catherine! You are clever to do it and I hope you have written down all the measurements so next time it is easier! In fact, you could write some instructions with it and sell it as a pattern as well as the finished box..

georgie said...

I love it I too want to make one,where can I get a pattern?
happy quilting.
Georgie xx

Unknown said...

Well that is soooo neat! i really like the fabrics you chose to use: very soft looking! you re-created a pattern for this? wow, you are good!

myBearpaw said...

Wow - that is such an impressive sewing box! I think I would find that hard to part with but I bet it will do really well on Etsy - good luck with that!

Lis Harwood said...

I have made a very similar box and love using it. I like the fabrics you used. I've also made a square etui which is fun and opens flat in a similar way. I am inpsired to make another, thanks. Georgie, if you read this....Jill and I have patterns :)

Deborah said...

Lovely and useful!

Ariane said...

It's gorgeous!!! I love these boxes.

April (Polkadot Sparrow) said...

Very cool. I hadn't seen these before. You did a really nice job, especially for creating your own pattern! Thanks for sharing!

Sue said...

I made a few of these about 20 years ago, they are sew nice finished, I still have mine and love it! very pretty colours

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...