Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Making flowers...........


I spent a couple of hours yesterday making some "origami fabric flowers". I first saw these flowers on Sandy's blog Peek-a-boo. She then generously shared a very easy to follow tutorial for them a couple of months ago.

This is one of my sewing boxes which I made quite a few years ago. It originaly had a folded ribbon flower on it's lid that had begun to unravel. Now it looks pretty again with its brand new flower on top of the lid.

This flower adorns my latest bag and was made using 1" squares. I thought it would be quite fiddly to make but it went together as quickly and as easily as the bigger one.

I made this bag over the weekend from a pattern I found on Artsy-craftsy babe's blog. She has a few free tutorials and this bag is one of them. Its called the "Phoebe bag" and I downloaded it and printed it out quite a while ago then forgot I had it till I gave my sewing space a clean out. I found quite a few patterns I have printed out and still want to make, so watch this space.

I used Heather Bailey's "Swirlybuds" in fuchsia for the outside of the bag, the striped lining and pink and white polka dot used for the pocket are from Spotlight. I used a magnet closure for the first time too which was again pretty easy although I did have to ask my husband to help push the metal tabs down.
So there you go 2 great tutorials that I can thoroughly recommend.

6 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, nice flowers! You DID make the etui, how cool is that! I was wondering when I saw it at FlickR. Love the flower on the top and the pink bag is just wonderful! Nice and summery. I wish it was summer here, it's freezin'!

When you folded the magnet tabs, did you fold them in or out? I've seen instructions for both ways and done it both ways but can't decide which way I prefer.

Needled Mom said...

Very cute. I love the pretty flowers on them.

Rafael's Mum said...

Very nice flowers. and your are doing so well on the bag making too! you are clever!

Deborah said...

Beautiful projects! I love the flowers!

Sandy in Buenos Aires said...

Hi Catherine !
Your flowers turned out gorgeous !!!
And I love your new bag with the Heather Bailey fabric !!! It looks so comfy, I'll have to try that pattern!
Hugs,
Sandy-

Ariane said...

I love the flowers. They are so pretty. And the bag is so nice. Love the colors. My daughter would definitely love that one. I love the swing top you made your daughter. What pattern did you use. I would like to try one of those for my daughter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...