Thursday, December 22, 2011

Nearly Christmas eve, eve...


Yes according to my youngest daughter its Christmas eve, eve tomorrow which I guess is a good way of making Christmas day seem like its a little bit closer. Actually I'd like an extra day to do all the things I'd like to have done but I'm sure what's left on my to do list that doesn't get completed won't really matter on the day. We spent yesterday doing a whole lot of Christmas baking for edible gifts and also to fill up the tins for the coming holiday season. Above is Christmas shortbread stars which contain red and green glace cherries and are then dipped in dark chocolate.

 We make these fresh ginger and spice biscuits each year using various Christmas themed cookie cutters. Not only are these delicious but they make a lot as in 60 + biscuits...

and then I just couldn't resist this recipe that I saw on Pinterest  and then around a couple of blogs this week. These are seriously yummy and worth my search for candy canes which my local supermarket and in the next town along were out of at the beginning of the week?!...
and finally we made these peppermint creams for my Dad which we also do each year. Here's the recipe if your in need of a last minute gift or just want something yummy to nibble on each time you visit the fridge :-)

You will need:

  • 25 grams butter
  • 1/4 sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 cups icing sugar, approximately
  • 1/2 tsp peppermint essence
  • few drops green food colouring
  • 200 grams dark chocolate
Mix all ingredients together in a food processor until it forms a firm paste. Roll into small balls then chill for several hours or overnight.Dip in melted chocolate and place on a baking tray to set. Keep chilled in fridge. I doubled this recipe and I think it made 30 to 40 small balls.

My house is now all clean and tidy after today's effort, shopping is pretty much finished so it's present wrapping tomorrow otherwise known as Christmas eve, eve. How are your preparations coming along?

9 comments:

Second Chance Tan said...

Oooooo they look so, so delicious.... x

Katy Cameron said...

Yummy! The end is in sight for me, just a mug rug to bind, a scarf to sew and a pincushion to make tonight, then a bird mobile and a scarf to make at mum and dad's tomorrow when I get there, and I'm done...

Michelle said...

Oooh they all look delicious!
I am on the home straight now just a few more presents to wrap... and give the house a final spruce up.
Enjoy your holiday season!

Karen said...

Lots of yumminess. I trust you did some quality control tasting. My son is busting for Christmas Day to come.

Unknown said...

I'm definitely giving that last recipe a try this season. They seem SOOO yummy and, yes, I definitely need a treat in the fridge, hee hee.

We still have a few gifts to wrap up but all in all, we're doing pretty well with our preparations. This time of year can be so stressful and today I felt that a bit but I'm trying to relax this evening...

I see you're yoyo-ing along very nicely. 68% done is awesome!

Have a fantastic Christmas Catherine, and a wonderful New Year!

xx Michele

Nic said...

They all look very tasty. Enjoy the treats and have a great xmas.

Lis Harwood said...

Yummy. Have a very happy Christmas.

Diane said...

oh my goodness... those all look so yummy! Merry Christmas!

Leslie said...

oh my goodness what wonderful, yummy treats!!! i hope you had a wonderful christmas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...