Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Countdown has begun!

This is the first advent calender I made when our eldest daughter Amelia was about 2 years or maybe younger. I used to put little gifts in each pocket like new ornaments for the tree one year and hair clips another year but then decided chocolates and lollies were much easier. It's a very simple pattern, just a Christmas tree shape marked into a grid then you make little heart pockets. The top 12 hearts are made from "The twelve days of Christmas" themed fabric.

A few years later I bought the pattern for this Advent Calender. It is a pattern designed by Jane Coughlan who is a local doll maker. It took me quite a while to make but it was a really fun project from getting the right fabrics for all the little details to making each little ornament. Down the sides and along the front of the 'quilt' are little pockets filled with the ornaments to hang on the house or tree etc.

And this is what it looks like by Christmas Day . A kiwi Christmas scene complete with Santa and Rudolph in the sky and presents under the tree. The people looking out the window are my husband and I , Amelia with the curly hair and Caitlin with straight hair. The purple banner across the top of the house says Merry Christmas. I wrote it in gold pen but I think I need to embroider over it to make it stand out more. The girls love both calenders. When I put it up this afternoon Caitlin was a little surprised as she thought it was a bit early until I reminded her the date today. If you want to see more details of this Advent Calender I have more photos on my flickr site.

3 comments:

Rafael's Mum said...

Don't remind me! December allready.... Those are lovely calendars Catherine. I especially like the second one with all the little attachments. it must be so wonderful to see it grow! Great calendar!

Jenny said...

HOw cute is this! Thanks for the inspiration!

Lis Harwood said...

The Advent calendars are gorgeous, especially the Kiwi Festive house one, well worth all the work. Have a Happy Christmas - hope it's a hot one!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...