Friday, December 11, 2009

Fabric Mosiac Cushion

I have been slowly beavering away on this fabric mosaic for a few days now just doing a little bit when I had time. This is a great way to use up those tiny craps that I can't quite throw away but seem too small to do much with. I think I started collecting small scraps after I tried my hand at paper piecing and realized you only needed small scraps for some of the intricate patterns. I was inspired to do this fabric mosaic when I saw a quilt here on
Crazy Mom Quilts blog. I've just given it another name. I like trying out new to me patterns or techniques on the smaller scale of a cushion.

This is the cushion back with a button enclosure and using up more scraps. It really does give me a good feeling using up my scraps although my pile never seems to diminish much! This pillow is going to live with these pillows I did a while back.

And before you say "is that all she's accomplished this week?" I have been working on this quilt most evenings. I have quilted some nice swirls and girly hearts along the first border. You can visit all the other finishes for " Sew 'n' tell friday" by clicking the button on the right.

21 comments:

Lis Harwood said...

Love the cushion Catherine, I'm not very good at using scraps but this has inspired me, thanks.

Susan said...

Oh, what a great cushion, Catherine! I love this idea. Crazymom's quilt is great, too. And it gives me wonderful ideas- what about something like this for our sewing machine cover sew-along at the ORBC Flickr group? That would be so fun. Nice job!

Lesly said...

It must be so satisfying to be able to use those scraps that you can't make yourself throw out! Great pillow! Great finish!

Lara said...

Lovely Catherine!!Your quilt is looking stunning... can't wait to see more!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful pillow. And your quilting is pretty too!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

The pillow looks great! Good way to use up scraps!

Sara said...

Great pillow...I especially like the back. Maybe I can find a blouse or man's shirt with the buttons already done...I can't make button holes...and add to the sides with the cool fabrics.

You are really inspiring me to try new things...

Carla said...

All I'm going to say it that , I love it! I have to make one!

Deborah said...

It's beautiful!

Diane said...

Great pillow! and no one would dare ask if that was all you have done :)

SueWis said...

This is soooo beautiful! I am guilty of throwing away too many scraps.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This pillow is beautiful. I have a hard time throwing fabric away, so I've been collecting scraps for the quilt ever since I saw it on Crazy Mom's blog.

Sally said...

I think this cushion looks great! It makes me want to make one. Although, I'm not sure I could do it on my current sewing machine since it is quite old (it was my Grandma's). I don't do enough sewing to make it worthwhile yet to buy a new machine.

Karen said...

I love the cushion. I saw the post on Crazy Mom Quilts too and thought to myself 'that is why I keep all those small pieces'. Great work.

Leslie said...

this pillow is amazing...my mouth fell open when i saw it. i love it. great finish

Nina... said...

I love the mosaic pillow, just beautiful! Great idea. Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays!

Pokey said...

I love the sweet prints in your pillow. These are so much fun, Come over and see mine, too!
I have made three table runners using this method.

Jennifer said...

That is so cute, what a great idea! It's beautiful.

Kimberly Tripp said...

love that mosaic cushion! I saw that on CMC too, and added it to my long long list of stuff to make

tara said...

Wow. That is really eye catching. And inspirational.

Rene' said...

Beautiful pillow - front and back. Great use for leftovers! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...